Saturday, December 17, 2011

Updates: GLAM and Underglazing

 Thanks to everyone who made our GLAM booth a smashing success we couldn't have done it without you. For those of you who didn't come, prepare to be excommunicated from C&B... just kidding. Here's a picture of our set-up, comments welcome.

Also, an update on this little guy to the right. A few posts back I told you about how the bottom of this piece flaked off in the kiln. At first I attributed it to an air bubble that I didn't catch but after some reflection and talking to  a few more experienced friends at my studio I have come to the conclusion that the bottom was just not dry enough. Part of what confused me was that this piece felt dry when it was loaded, but my current working theory is that some how the underglaze coat on the bottom of the pot prevented proper drying or out-gassing or both. So just as a cautionary tale, if you use underglaze to color the bottom of your pots make triple sure that the bottom is dry. Or you could use underglaze on bisqued pieces. I just like how much more control i have over the line quality when using underglaze on greenware. Lucky for me this piece still holds water and looks great so i kept it. You can hardly tell that it was damaged at all.  Happy Holidays, Bianca

No comments:

Post a Comment