Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Second Thoughts

So, blog negligence aside I figure I will just pick up where I left off.

         Being part of a community studio is a great thing, not only do you get to see other people's cool ideas, but you also do not have to do all of the work that maintaining a studio requires. That being said, there is also a downside to not doing everything yourself. I have been struggling with nicks being created in the bottom of my work by the little pieces of glaze that get stuck to the kiln shelves. Because I am not the person who loads the glaze kilns I do not get to check, check again, and recheck all of the little details that my particular brand of nit picking would require. In the past, I had tried alumina oxide to solve this problem, but I must have done it wrong, or, more likely, sloppily, because I made a huge mess of what I was working on. On trying it again, I found that, as in all things pottery, a little more care was the solution, and the AlO2 worked like a dream this time. It was also suggested to me that painting the actual kiln shelf in the area that the piece will be sitting on works as well. If I was firing in my own kiln, that is probably how I would do it.

So, yay, problem solved, right? Sort of. I now have a bunch of really beautiful pieces that are perfectly fine except for the ridiculous amount of nicks in the bottom of them. A few years ago I wrote about turning these pieces into window shelf planters (article: Re-Purposing Damaged Cups) but there are only so many potted succulents a girl can have.  So I have to ask, what do you do with all these pieces? I'm taking suggestions. I have been considering selling them at a discounted price but I just can't wrap my head around selling someone something that is anything less than perfect. Thoughts?

In other news, I have just restocked my Etsy store and you should check it out!!

Look for some of these pieces available now.





No comments:

Post a Comment